Saturday, November 14, 2009

Should there be any worries if I now have signs of endometrial cells 10+ after hysterectomy?

12 years ago I was diagnoised with ovarian cancer and went through the treatment and survived. I have been cancer free since, but my last pap showed positive for endometrial cells - my doctor said it could mean something, and he'd check in January. A friend who also is a doctor, said "I definetly needs to stay on top of that" It could be something serious or maybe just something to watch" So basically I do not know any more that what I did before. Has anyone been through this??

Should there be any worries if I now have signs of endometrial cells 10+ after hysterectomy?
Endometrial cells are found at the entrance to the uterus - the cervix.





Hysterectomy can be done with removal of the cervix (most of the time it is), but there was a trend in the early '90s to leave a cervical remnant. It was thought to contribute to a woman's sexual response - I've talked with Gynecologists about this, it doesn't seem to be studied, and the procedure has fallen out of favor.





So...it probably means that you have a cervical remnant and need to continue regular PAPs since you can still get cervical cancer.


No comments:

Post a Comment