Friday, May 21, 2010

Gastroenterology question: Is this IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), Endmetriosis? Cancer? Ovarian Cysts?

I am a 26 yr old female. About 8 months ago, I started having abdominal pain. I have been to 3 Dr.s (gastro, gyno, and family) and none can solve my problem. 6 months ago I had a negative CT scan (without contrast), negative pelvic exam and negative u/s.


Symptoms: Colicky lower left abdominal pain. Lower abdomen, to left of navel and about 1"-2" down stays sore like I have been kicked there, but sharp pain with a swelling feeling come and go all day (last less than 30 seconds every time). Pain (the continuous soreness) can be felt in same place in low back. Have always had problems with constipation (10+ years), but nothing has changed recently. Bowel movements do not seem to change the pain. I have another appt. with gastro tomorrow due to increased pain. I don't know what I should ask her to try or do, she told me at the last appt. she doesn't know what else to do. I had a negative colonoscopy 1 yr ago before problems started. Any suggestions or similar symptoms

Gastroenterology question: Is this IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), Endmetriosis? Cancer? Ovarian Cysts?
It sounds to me like it could be endometriosis. I'm 26 too and I have experienced the same symptoms and pain you are experiencing and describing, especially the lower left pelvic pain (around the area of my left ovary). I had intense period pain and cramping and this pain would continue throughout my entire cycle.





Other symptoms I experienced was pain with bowel movements, pain with intercourse, painful urination and a feeling like I have a full bladder most of the time, lower back pain and tiredness/fatigue even after just an hour of getting up in the mornings.





I too went from doctor to doctor for nearly 9 months and during this time had what felt like every test and scan on earth but nothing showed up, except for a 4.6cm hemorrhagic ovarian cyst (left side) but the cyst eventually ruptured, however the pain continued. It took about 9 months before finally finding a gynaecologist who listened to me and was willing to do a laparoscopy and in October last year (2007) I was diagnosed with stage 2 endometriosis.





The only way to diagnose endometriosis at this stage is to have a laparoscopy as no ultrasound (pelvic or abdominal), CT-scan, MRI or any other tests are able to diagnose endometriosis.





I continued to have problems with my bowels after my surgery for the endometriosis and after having some tests run by my doctor, I was diagnosed with IBS early December last year.





I would recommend that you get a second opinion from another gynaecologist and to ask them about endometriosis to see what they say.





If you have any other questions, please feel free to send me a message, the link to my email is in my profile.





All the best and good luck :)
Reply:ask the doctor to try and empties bowel study,i think i am saying that right,that when they check to see how fast bowels are moving through your system,Have you been checked urinary systems for kidney stones or cystis.or if not IBIS they should check for diverticulitis.Constipation can also cause pain in that area if ALL the bowel is not gone and you are getting obstructed.


No comments:

Post a Comment