Sunday, April 26, 2009

How to tell friends?

I just posted about finding out that I was pregnant -- I just tested about an hour ago. See my last post for more info. My mind is literally going a million miles a minute...I wish I had someone to talk to but I don't feel as though I can call my friends. I first believe in not saying anything in general until 3 months is up, except for close family and friends. Only problem is -- out of my 3 closest friends, one is in the early stages of expecting her second child, one just went through a hysterectomy (2 weeks ago) because of ovarian cancer that spread, and the third has been trying for two years with no luck. I am worried about telling them in general -- particularly the last two. Has anyone experienced anything similar and how did you handle it?





I would love to chat with someone about this (as I can't focus on anything else right now) -- is anyone aware of a forum or a chatroom for newly expecting moms?





Thanks! :-

How to tell friends?
I did go through something like this with my friends, as I have just had a baby a year ago and being older, ugh 40, either my friends have finished their families, or are unable to have children...a close friend of mine also had a hysterectomy due to cancer and this was the hardest person for me to tell, or so I thought. She always wanted tohave children, but now it wouldn't happen, and here I was about to give her my news...as it turned out, she was so thrilled about my news and has been a great source of strength and inspiration to me as a woman. And your friends who have been trying will understand that you are not them, and will be happy for you. Congratulations on your wonderful fantastic news and the best of luck to you for a happy future...please feel free to email me at any time if you need a "shoulder"...
Reply:I don't know of any chat rooms though I'm sure they exist... but my suggestion to you is this: If they are truly your friends they will be really happy for you no matter what has happened to them. I don't think you should go as far as flaunting it in their face (it doesn't sound like you'd do that) but I think they would love to know that. Once upon a time I thought I couldn't have kids and I always loved to hear that all these women were pregnant. I wanted to help them so much. Not in a scary obsessive way, but I just loved kids and loved helping people. I think they'll understand. Maybe you can fulfill your crave to jump and scream about it by talking to your mom or mom in law. You know they've had kids so they know the excitement! Everyone (well, mostly anyway) loves to share the gift of life. Congratulations on the pregnancy!


No comments:

Post a Comment